Monday, January 18, 2021

UK surpasses Italy’s worst day for coronavirus deaths as 938 fatalities take toll past 7,000

THE UK has surpassed coronavirus-ravaged Italy’s deadliest day after 938 Brits died from the disease – taking the grim total to over 7,000.
Positive cases in the UK have also hit 60,733 – up from 55,242 infections yesterday.

Coronavirus deaths have continued to rise in the UKCredit: Reuters

The Department of Health today confirmed a total of 7,097 have died in the UK from coronavirus.
The figure was expected to be high as yesterday’s UK total death toll of 6,159 did not include Manchester, Leeds or Northern Ireland.
And the true death toll is actually higher as the DoH figures today did not factor in Northern Ireland, Southampton or Charing Cross due to a processing delay.
Today’s jump of 938 deaths is higher than Italy’s worst day when 919 people died.
Italy has seen one of the worst outbreaks in the world with 17,127 deaths and 135,586 cases.

The grim death toll had dropped for two days running on Sunday and Monday – but this was the same pattern as last Monday suggesting a possible lag in deaths recorded over the weekend.
Cases yesterday fell to their lowest level this month – with the government’s chief scientific adviser explaining the UK may now see the curve start to flatten.
But the number of infections has risen again from 3,634 yesterday to 5,492 today.
And victims are continuing to rise – with the equivalent of one Brit dying from the bug every two minutes.
In England today, 828 deaths were recorded – with the death toll now at 6,483.
NHS England confirmed the latest victims were aged between 22 and 103 – including a 35-year-old with no underlying health conditions.
A further 45 coronavirus victims had no previous medical issues.
In Scotland today, 70 more people have died – bringing the total to 296.
Wales today suffered 33 more deaths – with their total deaths now on 245.
While five further people have died in Northern Ireland – bringing their total number of deaths to 73.
The Department of Health also confirmed 14,682 tests were carried out, which is 676 more than yesterday’s amount.

It comes as a 29-year-old nurse today became the 15th frontline medic killed by the deadly bug.
Rebecca Mack, from Morpeth, Northumberland, was remembered as an “amazing medic” after she tragically died this week.
It is understood the young woman first worked at the Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle upon Tyne, before becoming a NHS 111 medic.
Meanwhile, Boris Johnson is continuing to battle coronavirus in hospital – but his fever is easing at last with hopes he has overcome the worst of the struggle.
The PM, 55, was hailed as a “fighter” as he spent a second night in intensive care and the Queen led the world in sending him messages of support.
He is now stable and “responding to treatment” while remaining “in good spirits” in intensive care, Downing Street said today.
It comes as the government continues planning for the next stage of Britain’s battle against the coronavirus.
Several ministers are said to believe schools should reopen two weeks after the Easter holidays if lockdown continues working.
Britain’s drastic lockdown measures – announced by Boris on March 23 – are due to be reviewed on Easter Monday.
It’s thought that until the UK has a full testing routine in place,  it won’t be able to be lifted.
The peak of the virus is also expected to come this weekend with 1,000 deaths a day amid fears lockdown will end up being extended.
Yesterday, the death toll rose by 786 as the UK broke the 6,000 barrier – with the total reaching 6,159.
Separate figures released yesterday revealed coronavirus  was responsible for one in 20 deaths in the UK.
The numbers from the Office of National Statistics show 501 virus victims died in hospital in the week up to March 27 – meaning 38 others were killed by the disease while at home.
Last week, the ONS revealed there had been at least 40 deaths at home up to March 20 – so 78 have died from the virus outside of hospital so far.
This week marks 100 days since the World Health Organisation was first alerted to a mystery illness in China when a handful of people fell ill in Wuhan.
Since then, cases have soared to more than 1million globally with the total number of deaths around the world passing 80,000.
(THE SUN)

Stay Connected

11,882FansLike
3,036FollowersFollow

Latest news

Latest UK Foreign Office travel advice for Barbados, Antigua, St Lucia and other Caribbean islands

The Government has announced tougher restrictions on travel into the UK, following new coronavirus variants being round in South Africa, Brazil and Britain. The new...

India Starts World’s Largest COVID-19 Vaccination Drive

NEW DELHI (AP) — India started inoculating health workers Saturday in what is likely the world’s largest COVID-19 vaccination campaign, joining the ranks of...

Entire plane affected by COVID days after Canada implements negative test requirement

All rows. That’s how Health Canada described the impact of two Air Transat flights that landed in Montreal from Haiti this week, purportedly carrying so...

Expert Denies Rumours Of Explosive Eruption At La Soufriere Volcano SVG

KINGSTOWN, St. Vincent, Jan. 17, CMC – The National Emergency Management Organisation (NEMO) has dismissed reports of explosive eruptions of La Soufriere ...