The Ministry of Health and Wellness on Friday received confirmation from the Ezra Long Laboratory of 18 new cases of COVID-19.
And the Ministry had confirmed one new COVID-19 related death.
The deceased was identified as a 77 year old male from the Castries district with ‘underlying medical illnesses.’
His demise brings to 85, the number of COVID-related deaths in Saint Lucia so far.
In regard to the 18 new cases of the virus, a Health and Wellness Ministry statement released on Saturday night disclosed that they were diagnosed from a total of 344 samples taken during the period June 28, 2021 to July 1, 2021 and processed on July 1, 2021.
According to the Ministry release, all of the new cases were seen at various community respiratory clinics where they were assessed and tested for COVID-19.
The individuals were placed in home quarantine by healthcare practitioners while awaiting receipt of their COVID-19 test results, in-keeping with the national COVID-19 testing protocol.
And arrangements have since been made to place them in isolation while contact tracing for the new cases is underway.
In addition to the 18 new COVID-19 cases and one death, the Ministry of Health and Wellness says it received confirmation that 9 patients have recovered, bringing the total number of active cases in country to date to 97.
The Ministry said all the active cases are doing well.
It was also disclosed that the 18 new COVID-19 patients bring the total number of cases diagnosed in country to date to 5320.
As of June 30, 2021 a total of 30, 902 individuals had received the first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine and 22, 019 individuals had received the second dose.
The Ministry of Health has encouraged all adults 18 years and older to get vaccinated to protect themselves, family, friends and others.